Friday, December 7, 2007

Come, Thou Long-Expected Jesus

Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.
Psalm 51:10


I am making progress on getting the house clean. I'm down to bathrooms, vacuuming & mopping, cleaning the craft room, and decorating the tree in our bedroom (yes, we have a tree in our bedroom...more on that in another post). My spirit has been set right, and I'm enjoying preparing my heart (and home) for the celebration of the coming of the Messiah!


Come, Thou long expected Jesus
Born to set Thy people free;
From our fears and sins release us,
Let us find our rest in Thee.
Israel’s Strength and Consolation,
Hope of all the earth Thou art;
Dear Desire of every nation,
Joy of every longing heart.

Born Thy people to deliver,
Born a child and yet a King,
Born to reign in us forever,
Now Thy gracious kingdom bring.
By Thine own eternal Spirit
Rule in all our hearts alone;
By Thine all sufficient merit,
Raise us to Thy glorious throne.

Words: Charles Wes­ley, Hymns for the Na­tiv­i­ty of Our Lord
(Lon­don: Will­iam Stra­han, 1745), num­ber 10.
Music: Hy­fry­dol,
Row­land H. Pri­chard, 1830

2 comments:

Unknown said...

We sing hymns and choruses so automatically sometimes. More and more I read the lyrics out loud so that I can really absorb the Word in it!

Beautiful!

KJ

Tamara said...

I agree, KJ. I love to write or type the words, because it forces me to internalize them. I often write the words of a hymn in the midst of my sermon notes. I find that singers/choirs sing better when they truly understand and express the words. And Wesley was a master at crafting truths into hymn texts.