Wednesday, February 6, 2008

A Little Bit of Yumminess

Hmmm...this is my 3rd post in 2 days with a title that begins with "A Little...". I guess I should crack open the thesaurus or something!

In the meantime, I thought I'd post a couple of recipes that I made for our Superbowl party Sunday night. The first is one I've made several times...it's a favorite.

Salted Nut Roll Bars (original recipe found here)
DSC06529 nut roll
OK...now the photo above shows them at appx. 1" x 2.5", but really, they're quite rich, and 1" squares are just about perfect. I just got in a hurry Sunday night and hacked them into big chunks!

It's delicious, except it's made with peanuts, which I may or may not be allergic to, but which make me sick to my stomach, so I'm thinking I'm allergic, but everyone else loves them...oh, excuse me, I do tend to run on, don't I? Well, they're so yummy, I'm sure you'll forgive me. And if you, like me, have trouble with peanuts, then you'll love me for this variation on the original recipe:

Salted Pecan Log
pecan log
For this version, I use the same instructions as above, but I substitute a bag of white chocolate chips for the peanut butter chips, and I substitute 16 oz. +/- of shopped pecans for the peanuts. The pecans will be tastier if you toast them first, and I prefer to salt them lightly before toasting. You can also toast them unsalted...but then it won't be a Salted Pecan Log! (I'm such a legalist!)

Yum. No really, YUM. I mean it...YUMMMMM! Please go try them, ok?

The next recipe was new to me. It's a variation on a party favorite that every true Texan knows and loves: Chili con Queso. But this one has spinach and cream cheese and :::sigh::: bacon. I had a few leftover sauteed onions, too, so I threw them in.

The recipe for VELVEETA Cheesy Spinach and Bacon Dip is here.

Cheesy Spinach & Bacon Dip

It was pretty good, but we all thought it could use a tad more "kick". (And that's coming from a "gringa mouth".) I used the mild Rotel, so you might want to use original Rotel or add some salsa. Either way, it's a nice twist on the old party standby.

Bon Appetit!

4 comments:

Kelli said...

YUM! I love peanuts and that dip looks delicious too! Thank you for sharing the recipes!
Kelli

kari and kijsa said...

Two words..yum..and YUM!!! Love these!!

blessings,
kari & kijsa

McMaster & Storm said...

we needed a snack break!
love,
kara & darcy

Michelle said...

Thanks for the comment. Sorry abou the mis direct on the site. it is www.relishportraitstudio.com. Maile is awesome.
Smiles,
Michelle
P.S. Does Ms. Deana & Ms. Irma still work at the MDO program?