Thursday, May 22, 2008

Pray for Steven Curtis Chapman and His Family

I am heartbroken at the morning news for the family of Steven Curtis Chapman. If you haven't heard the story, go here to read the AP report, or here to read it on Steven Curtis Chapman's website.

You may also wish to share your condolences with the Chapman family at this special website. Be sure to watch the sweet videos with little Maria.

Steven Curtis Chapman's music has been a major part of the soundtrack of my adult life. In college, his music encouraged me to grow in Christ. His music played a significant role in the romance of my husband and I (I mean, who in the 90's/early 00's didn't have "I Will Be Here" sung at their wedding?). And in recent years, the Chapman family's commitment to adoption, sharing their experiences, and founding Shaohannah's Hope, has influenced us in our decision to adopt. Brian and I feel as though we know them. They're our brothers and sisters in the faith. Our hearts are breaking for them right now.

I find it interesting, that in his long career, Steven has shared many songs that contain the truths of the hope that we can find in the Lord. How precious that God has given Steven and his family songs, now hidden in his heart, that are filled with the words of God, and that can serve as anchors to their faith. Take a moment to review the lyrics of With Hope, Carry You to Jesus, Hiding Place, More to this Life, Hold on to Jesus, and many more. And, though I'm sure it's not what he had in mind when he wrote the song, consider this line from Cinderella:

So I danced with Cinderella / While she is here in my arms / 'Cause I know something the prince never knew / Oh, I danced with Cinderella / I don't want to miss even one song / 'Cause all too soon the clock will strike midnight / And she'll be gone


The best thing we can do for this precious family right now is to get down on our knees before the God of all comfort and lift them up to Him in prayer. Pray for peace that surpasses understanding, for caring friends and family to rise up and minister to them, for protection from the attacks of the evil one, for healing and protection for their sweet son, and that the Chapman family will find a way to praise God through this terrible storm. And even as we grieve, we also celebrate, that precious Maria is safe and whole and loved in the arms of Jesus.

And regarding the question, friends, that has come up about what happens to those already dead and buried, we don't want you in the dark any longer. First off, you must not carry on over them like people who have nothing to look forward to, as if the grave were the last word. Since Jesus died and broke loose from the grave, God will most certainly bring back to life those who died in Jesus.
I Thessalonians 4:13-14 The Message

No comments: